This is for a social work class called skills in interviewing.
This course introduces students to the multi-step process of problem solving with a focus on the strength’s perspective. The student will select a social work case. The student social worker will identify the problem(s) and narrowing them down to a workable plan of action. The student will develop a plan of action by determining short and long-term objectives to meet the goal and objectives. The student should discuss the possible barriers to change such as collaborating with a client who is unmotivated or mandated for treatment. In addition, the student should discuss in his/her paper the steps in developing a written or verbal contract with a client. Overall, case analysis should include the following: problem identification, planning, and contracting as phases of the helping relationship. This assignment should be in APA format. The paper should be a 5-page double-spaced written report. Use the following headings to concisely answer the items below.
- Brief overview of your selected case.
- Identify the problem(s) and needs of the client.
- Develop a strategy on how to meet the clients needs? What are the client’s strengths?
- What are your goals?
- Specify objectives, what the are your short-term and long-term objectives?
- Were there any barriers or pitfalls in collaborating with your client. Any social work barriers?
- Specify the action steps needed to achieve your goals. It is important to assign responsibilities to the social worker and the client (who? will do what? by when? and how will success be measured?)
- Formalize contract
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, it is essential to understand the various avenues of healthcare, including social work. The skills in interviewing course is crucial for training students on how to apply a multifaceted approach to problem-solving. In this assignment, the students are required to select a social work case, identify its problems, and develop a workable plan of action. The paper should be in APA format with a 5-page double-spaced written report.
1. Brief overview of your selected case:
My selected case is a 35-year-old man who has recently lost his job, causing financial strain on his family. He has been struggling with depression and anxiety and approached a social worker for support.
2. Identify the problem(s) and needs of the client:
The primary problem is the financial strain that has caused severe depression and anxiety in the client. The needs of the client include finding ways to manage his mental health and reduce the financial burden on his family.
3. Develop a strategy on how to meet the client’s needs? What are the client’s strengths?
To meet the client’s needs, the social worker will work with the client to develop coping mechanisms to manage depression and anxiety. Additionally, the social worker will assist the client in creating a financial plan to alleviate the burden on his family. The client’s strengths include being proactive in seeking help to address his emotional and financial stress.
4. What are your goals?
The social worker’s goals are to improve the client’s mental health and facilitate the development of a sustainable financial plan.
5. Specify objectives, what are your short-term and long-term objectives?
Short-term objectives include developing coping strategies to manage the client’s mental health, finding employment opportunities, and reducing financial stress. Long-term objectives include creating a long-term financial plan and creating a support system for the client to manage his mental health.
6. Were there any barriers or pitfalls in collaborating with your client. Any social work barriers?
One potential barrier was the client’s motivation level to engage in the process. The social worker will need to work with the client to increase his motivation level to participate actively in the process.
7. Specify the action steps needed to achieve your goals. It is important to assign responsibilities to the social worker and the client (who? will do what? by when? and how will success be measured?)
The social worker and the client will collaborate to develop coping strategies to manage mental health, identify employment opportunities, and create a sustainable financial plan. The social worker will be responsible for providing the necessary resources and support to the client to achieve these goals. Success will be measured by the client’s ability to manage his mental health and alleviate financial stress.
8. Formalize contract
The social worker and the client will formalize their contract by defining their responsibilities and accountability in achieving the short-term and long-term objectives. They will also define the timeline for achieving each objective and measure success accordingly.