You are employed at a hospital that offers community education on matters relating to both patient care and health care administration. You have been asked to present a lecture to the community addressing the variety of healthcare delivery systems in the United States, including settings and categories of healthcare professionals. Discuss how you would structure and present such a lecture to a community audience, including what topics you would cover and why.
Submit 1,350 -1,500-word
Expert Solution Preview
Introduction: Healthcare delivery systems in the United States are varied and complex, and can be confusing to understand for the general public. As a medical professor, it is important to educate the community on the different settings and categories of healthcare professionals to enhance their understanding of the healthcare system. This presentation will provide an overview of the healthcare delivery systems in the United States and the roles played by healthcare professionals.
Structure of the Lecture: The lecture will be structured in a chronological manner starting with the healthcare delivery system in the early 1900s up until the current healthcare system in the United States. The lecturer will begin by discussing the historical development of healthcare delivery systems in the United States and progress towards contemporary healthcare systems. The following are the topics to be covered:
1. Introduction to healthcare delivery systems: This section will focus on the aim of the lecture, which is to provide a broad understanding of how healthcare delivery systems work in the United States. Additionally, the lecture will describe what healthcare delivery systems entails, including the various settings and categories of healthcare professionals.
2. Evolution of healthcare delivery systems: This part will delve into the history of healthcare delivery systems in the United States, including the American Medical Association (AMA) and the Flexner Report. The section will also discuss the growth of research in medicine, which led to medical breakthroughs such as penicillin.
3. Healthcare delivery systems timeline: This section will examine the development of healthcare delivery systems from the early 1900s to the present day. Topics that will be covered here include the Great Depression, the establishment of Medicaid and Medicare, the Affordable Care Act, and other significant reforms.
4. Models of healthcare delivery systems: This section will highlight the various healthcare delivery system models found in the United States, their strengths, and their weaknesses. Significant topics to be covered in this section include the fee-for-service, managed care, and accountable care organizations (ACOs).
5. Healthcare professionals and roles: This section will focus on the different types of healthcare professionals and their roles in the healthcare system. Topics that will be addressed include physicians, pharmacists, nurses, physician assistants, and many more.
Conclusion: By the end of the lecture, the community will have a better understanding of healthcare delivery systems and the roles of healthcare professionals. The lecture will enhance their capacity to understand the healthcare system better and make informed healthcare decisions.