- Review the elements included in PICOT questions to guide evidence-based nursing practice.
- Respond to the questions below using the PICOT Question Worksheet Template Attached PICOT Question Worksheet Template.
- Using a minimum of 3 scholarly nursing sources, current within 5 years:
- Identify and describe one practice-related issue or concern. You may choose to build on the practice issue you identified in NR500NP/NR501NP.
- Explain why the issue/concern is important to nurse practitioner practice and its impact on health outcomes.
- Describe each element of your PICOT question in one or two sentences, being sure to address all of the following:
- P-Population and problem– What is the nursing practice concern or problem and whom does it affect?
- I–Intervention– What evidence-based solution for the problem would you like to apply?
- C–Comparison– What is another solution for the problem? Note that this is typically the current practice, no intervention at all, or alternative solutions.
- O–Outcome– Very specifically, how will you know that the intervention worked? Think about how you will measure the outcome.
- T–Time frame– What is the Timeframe involved for the EBP initiative or the target date of completion?
- Construct your PICOT question in the standard PICOT question format (narrative) and define each letter separately, such as:
- P =
- I =
- C =
- O =
- T =
- PICOT question written in full =
Expert Solution Preview
In order to effectively guide evidence-based nursing practice, it is important to understand the elements included in PICOT questions. As a medical professor, I am tasked with designing college assignments for medical college students that evaluate their ability to identify and describe practice-related issues, develop PICOT questions, and provide evidence-based solutions to nursing problems. The following answers will demonstrate my understanding of these elements and how they can be used to improve nurse practitioner practice and patient outcomes.
Practice-related issue or concern:
One practice-related issue that I have identified is the high rate of hospital readmission among elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This issue is important to nurse practitioner practice because COPD is a progressive disease that affects millions of people worldwide, and hospital readmissions can result in significant financial burdens, decreased quality of life, and increased mortality rates.
P-Population and problem: Elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and a history of hospital readmission
I-Intervention: Implementation of a self-management education program
C-Comparison: Standard care without self-management education program
O-Outcome: Reduction in hospital readmission rates and improved quality of life
T-Timeframe: Six months
PICOT question written in full: In elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and a history of hospital readmission, will the implementation of a self-management education program, compared to standard care without self-management education program, result in a reduction in hospital readmission rates and improved quality of life within six months?