Find a recent online advertisement, either in an online article, social media or a company website for a new product or service.
Recent = no older than 21 days from when you are posting your response to this prompt. The date stamp of your response will be used for this.
Provide the following, and number your responses:
1. Article/website/source Title
2. Date of publication
4. Brief summary of what the article/website is about (one or two sentences at most).
5. Now this is the challenging part. Your job is review the advertisement carefully, 5a) describe what appeals to your sense of what is true and reasonable? 5b) What appeals to your emotion? 5c) What makes your trust the company/source for this advertisement? 5d) Does this advertisement somehow match the rest of the content of the article/source?(Minimum Word Count: 150-300 words total)
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, I emphasize on the importance of critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze information. In this assignment, students were asked to find a recent online advertisement and critically analyze it. They were required to provide information about the source, publication date, and a brief summary of the article or website. Furthermore, they were asked to describe what appeals to their sense of what is true and reasonable, what appeals to their emotion, and what makes them trust the company/source for this advertisement. Lastly, they were required to analyze if the advertisement matches the rest of the content of the article or source.
1. Article/website/source Title: “New FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine now available”
2. Date of publication: August 23, 2021
3. Link/URL: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/new-fda-approved-covid-19-vaccine-now-available-n1277524
4. Brief summary of what the article/website is about: The article talks about the recent FDA approval of a new COVID-19 vaccine, and how it could help contain the spread of the virus. It also discusses the logistical challenges that come with distributing the vaccine to different parts of the country.
5. Analysis of the advertisement:
a) What appeals to my sense of what is true and reasonable? The fact that this vaccine was approved by the FDA makes me feel more confident in its effectiveness and safety, as the FDA has strict standards for approving vaccines. This also suggests that the vaccine has undergone rigorous testing and has been found to be effective at preventing COVID-19.
b) What appeals to my emotion? The article talks about the possibility of containing the spread of COVID-19 with the help of this vaccine. As someone who has seen the impact of COVID-19 firsthand, this message resonates with me and makes me hopeful that we are moving towards a post-pandemic world.
c) What makes me trust the company/source for this advertisement? The fact that this article is from NBC News, a well-respected and established news outlet, makes me trust the source of this advertisement. I feel that NBC News would not publish an article with false or misleading information, and their reputation is important to them.
d) Does this advertisement somehow match the rest of the content of the article/source? Yes, the advertisement matches the rest of the content of the article as it is promoting the new FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine discussed in the article. It is also placed within the context of the logistical challenges of distributing the vaccine, which shows a realistic portrayal of the vaccine’s rollout.